August 2, 2014 at 6:19pm
2015 MTG Pro Tour Schedule… all standard!
Is this a wonderflonium alter?
WhatsApp Co-Founders Jan Koum and Brian Acton
Earlier today, Facebook announced its acquisition of WhatsApp for $16 billion. It’s a spectacular milestone for the company’s co-founders Jan Koum and Brian Acton, and their remarkable team.
From the moment they opened the doors of WhatsApp,…
A very interesting read indeed on the acquisition of WhatsApp by Facebook from the private equity investors in the company.
February 19, 2014 at 11:18am
No UWR for me in Legacy
For the first time in a very long time (probably since BOM Paris last November!), I played Legacy. I took UWR (Owen’s build) to an 8-man at Dark Sphere and went 1-2, winning against Doomsday, and losing against Miracles and BUG Delver. Some quick thoughts from yesterday:
- I think UWR is poorly positioned against UWR and BUG Delver. Miracles can take its time to setup a big turn and UWR doesn’t have a good enough clock with enough threats to close out the game. I found Dazes, Spell Pierce and Wastelands incredibly poor in that matchup. I would hate to have to play this matchup multiple times over a course of a big tournament and for that reason alone I think I’m dismantling UWR.
- I had a slightly easier matchup against BUG, but this was mostly due to its vulnerability to Wastelands. I also found that BUG Delver isn’t as kold to RIP as I thought it would be. I was better off holding back mana on turn 2 to counterspell a Liliana as there was no way I could get a threat to stick once Lili hit the board. Oh, and there’s also Tombstalker out of BUG which only StPs can handle.
- GBP8.50 for Nightveil Specter is really expensive. I was thinking of buying a playset for funsies for Vintage, but at that price, I would rather pass. It’s great not having the time for Standard… I don’t have to be sucked into buying cards which are rather expensive for the amount of use I would have gotten out of them.
- BUG in Vintage is only good if you can land a Null Rod. Even if you do land up protecting it, I’m still kold to Hurkyl’s Recall or Tinker. This card should be either a 4-of, or a none of. I wonder if RUG Delver in Vintage is any better, but I’d lose the security of being able to fire off uncounterable Abrupt Decays.
- Mana denial is probably the best strategy to go for against Doomsday. Not only do they need BBB to resolve the namesake spell, but they also need cards in hand to build storm for the Tendrils finish. They could of course, go for the Lab Maniac/Emrakul win, but that takes time. Keeping them off black mana seems to be the working strategy. Also, Meddling Mage on Burning Wish is sweet. Another cool play from yesterday: Dazing a random spell to tax them, returning a Tundra to ensure that my opponent couldn’t Massacre for free. Geist of St. Traft out of the board was better than TNN as it clocks for 6 (instead of 3) although its a lot more vulnerable to Pyroclasm.
Next up: build Vintage Humans and Jund.
You may have just been banned in Modern DRS, but you will continue to shine in Legacy and Vintage!
It’s a mere 12 hours to the ban list update for 3rd February 2014. Modern is a format I am deeply in love with, and as a player who’s been playing Modern since its inception in 2011, I couldn’t be more happy to see the format growing, and evolving into the state it is currently is: deep, fun and…
On the subject of Spirit of the Labyrinth, I think Wizards wants to see how the card shakes up Legacy (and therein: JTMS) before deciding to unban JTMS in Modern. My timeline says Journey’s (or M15) is when he’ll be unbanned. You have a Legacy GP (Paris) in Feb, and 2 Modern GPs going into the summer season. Plenty of time for observation.
Look what just came in the mail! Sweet mythic foily goodness.
In the era of the iPhone, Facebook, and Twitter, we want frictionless, “turnkey” solutions to the major difficulties of the world. We prefer instructional videos to teachers, drones to troops, incentives to institutions. But technology and incentive programs are not enough. Every change requires effort, and the decision to make that effort is a social process. Human interaction is the key force in overcoming resistance and speeding change.
An interesting article about why some ideas take so long to propagate, even in this era of modern communication.
Elemental token #gpcalgary
Now this is what an elemental token should look like!